Named after the Catholic parish St. Andres, the town has been a noted mining camp since early days. Gold from the surrounding ancient river channels and placer mines contributed greatly to the success of the Union during the Civil War. The first newspaper was published here on September 24, 1846. – California Historical Marker number 252
Main Street is lined with restored brick buildings. For images, information about the town and Museums visit Calaveras County Historical Society’s web site. Black Bart was brought to trial in 1883 seventeen years after San Andreas was established as the county seat, it had been at Mokelumne Hill. Black Bart was sentenced to 6 years in San Quentin for the Milton-Sonora Stage Robbery. For a website devoted to Black Bart click here. For current court house information click here.
Located an hour from the Sacramento Metro area, and about two hours from Santa Clara and Sunnyvale. Our Map of San Andreas The Mark Twain St. Joseph’s Hospital serves the area. There is also a small airport called the Calaveras County-Maury Rasmussen Field Airport. For more information about transportation in the Mother Lode area go here.
History of San Andreas
Founded and settled by Mexicans in 1848. Destroyed by fire June 4, 1858, and in 1863, San Andreas became the seat of Calaveras County in 1866. The downtown Museum features the restored courthouse, a hall of records with more to see in the Odd Fellow’s Hall and restored parts of what was once the county jail. For more about the Museum and other Museums in the area visit the destination guide.
California Historical Marker number 271 marks an old pioneer cemetery: “This pioneer cemetery was said to have been established in 1851. Most of the graves are unmarked – stones appeared over only three of them in 1936. This cemetery is located almost opposite where the town of North Branch originally stood, before the site was mined for gold.”
San Andreas Zip Code: 95249
US Post Office –
315 Russell Road
37 Church Hill Road