This part of California is designated as wilderness and there are plenty of ways to enjoy it. View information about wildlife in the Mother Lode and what to do if you see a local bear or mountain lion. The Sierra Nevada hills are stunningly beautiful, you will never tire of exploring it!
- Plan your visit, this is the “Gateway to California’s Gold Country.”
- The Mother Lode provides an absolutely beautiful setting for memorable events.
- Enjoy backpacking, biking, fishing, and some extreme whitewater rafting.
- Explore with an off highway vehicle (ATV, rock crawler or snowmobile).
- Relax at a lake, in a fishing boat, kayak, or houseboat, or cut through the water on water skis!
The Mother Lode has an unbeatable combination of breathtaking scenery, thrilling activities, and relaxing hideaways to explore.
- Angels Camp Museum
- Calaveras Historical Museum
- Gateway Museum
- Jamestown Museum
- Heritage Museum
- Murphys Old Timers Museum
- New Melones Visitors Center
- Railtown 1897 State Park
- Sierra Nevada Logging Museum
- Sonora Fire Museum
- Tuolumne City Memorial Museum
- Tuolumne County Museum
- Veterans Memorial Hall & Military Museum
- Yosemite Museums