Don’t Get Burned A Second Time
Calaveras County, CA — Following the devastation of the Butte Fire flames, state officials want to make sure victims are not burned again by scammers.
As those impacted try to clean up the destruction left by the flames, swindlers will try to do the same with false claims of assistance and services, according to California’s Office of Emergency Services. State officials warn that unfortunately swindlers see these disasters as an opportunity to take advantage of vulnerable disaster victims. Here are the California State License Board’s tips on how to avoid these scam artists:
- Do not rush into repairs, no matter how badly they are needed.
- Get at least three bids.
- Do not hire the first contractor who comes along.
- Be cautious of door-to-door offers of repair services and flyers or business cards left at your property.
- Ask friends, family and associates for recommendations about contractors they have hired.
- Never pay in cash.
- Even for the smallest job, get proof that person is licensed for that kind of work.
- Get a written contract with itemized details of the work plan.
Click here for additional information including how to report fraud.