Sonora, CA — Calaveras County’s Health Department has already issued a heat advisory for the next couple of days, but with summer in full swing, Tuolumne County’s Health Officer Dr. Liza Ortiz wants to alert the public of different ways to beat the heat.
Dr. Ortiz suggests, “Stay in an air-conditioned or climate controlled areas as much as possible. We don’t recommend that you only use a fan, as circulating hot air is not going to cool you off.” She also recommends, wearing light weight and colored clothing, avoid direct sunlight, and take cold showers.
Additionally, staying hydrated is a key, especially if working outside. Dr. Ortiz says, “Try to drink more water than usual. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty. Drink two to four cups that’s 16 to 32 ounces every hour if you must be active in the heat.” Food is also important along with juices or sports drinks to replace electrolytes.
Do not forget about Fido, Dr. Ortiz emphasizes, “Pets should definitely follow the same rules of staying indoors when possible as well as having access to plenty of water. Another good idea is to check on elderly or disabled neighbors as often as possible to make sure they are doing okay.
For relief from hot weather, head to a public building like the Tuolumne County Main Library on Greenley Road. It is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. To find out about other libraries in the area call 209-533-5507. Near that same location is the Tuolumne County Senior Center (209-533-2622), which is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Calaveras County’s Health Department provided these additional tips:
- Plan outdoor activities for the cooler parts of the day:
- Avoid being out during the hottest part of the day
- Rest often in a shady area
- Never leave children or pets in a parked car
- Take frequent, regularly scheduled breaks
- If you don’t feel well (for example: heart pounds, out of breath, lightheaded, confused, weak or faint) stop your activity and rest in a cool or shady area
- Stay in touch with your family, friends, and neighbors daily
- Have others check on you