San Andreas, CA — With the 4th of July weekend upon us, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection is warning those who choose to light off fireworks to be careful.
Fireworks are completely illegal in Tuolumne County.
However, in Calaveras County, Safe and Sane fireworks are allowed everywhere but the Ebbetts Pass Fire District. Fireworks such as Firecrackers, Bottle Rockets, and others not sold at permitted fireworks stands are illegal to have, sell, and use.
The following precautions are advised when using fireworks:
· Use only Safe and Sane fireworks, sold in a permitted fireworks stand.
· Read the operating instructions on each firework.
· A responsible adult should supervise juveniles with fireworks. Watch small children in the area carefully.
· Light fireworks in a clear area with no dry vegetation, structures, automobiles, or anything that can easily catch fire.
· Have a bucket of water and a garden hose ready to use. Put used fireworks in a bucket of water and let sit for 24 hours.
· Do not throw or handle fireworks that are designed to sit on the ground.
· Fireworks that fail to work after lighting them should be left alone. Do not try to re-ignite them because they may go off prematurely.
CDF says it will be out patrolling in Tuolumne and Calaveras counties. People caught with illegal fireworks will be cited and their fireworks confiscated.
Unit Chief Mike Noonan says its best to just leave the fireworks to the professionals.
Written by Vanessa Turner.