Mosquito Control Measures Begin In Calaveras
San Andreas, CA — Calaveras County vector control crews have begun surveying potential breeding spots for mosquitoes and are taking action to eliminate those areas.
Once identified, mosquito habitats could be treated with chemicals. Calaveras does not do aerial applications and only treats on private land with the consent of the property owner.
Crews have also begun trapping to determine population densities, breeding habitats and West Nile virus. Fogging will occur when high count numbers or West Nile virus is found.
The Environmental Management Agency encourages residents to:
– Apply insect repellent containing DEET.
– Avoid spending time outside at dawn and dusk.
– Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts outdoors.
– Use tight fitting screens on doors and windows.
– Eliminate all sources of standing water.
– Contact a veterinarian for vaccinating equine.
– Report significant mosquito infestations and breeding sites to the county at (209) 754-6383.
– Report dead birds and tree squirrels to 1-877-WNV-BIRD.
For more information on West Nile virus, visit the county´s website.
Written by Vanessa Turner.