Time To Fall Back
San Andreas, CA – Daylight savings time ends this Sunday. While you are setting your clocks back and hour CAL Fire says it is a great time to make some safety checks for the coming winter.
CAL Fire Spokesperson Lisa Williams says, “This is a great time to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Also, clean them off, vacuum them off, get the dust off of them because dust can inhibit how they work.” She adds, “Almost every day a smoke detector saves somebody’s life, but only when the smoke detectors are maintained and working properly.”
Williams also say it is a good time to have furnaces and chimney pipes check to make sure they are in good working condition.
To keep your smoke detector in proper working order:
• Test all smoke detectors on a monthly basis
• Change the batteries twice a year
• Vacuum once a year: dust and cobwebs can impair sensitivity
Install smoke detectors in:
• Hallways that lead to all sleeping areas
• Each additional level of your home