- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Total Cooking time: 14 hours
|4||lbs||Pork Shoulder or Butt (bone in is fine)|
|2||Onions (Option to Carmelize…recipe below)|
|Seasoning (whatever you like)|
|Olive Oil and Butter|
|16||oz||(your favorite) BBQ sauce|
|##||**(optional homemade BBQ sauce recipe follows)|
- Rub the Pork with whatever seasonings you like. (I use Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Paprika, Garlic Powder for sure, use what you like).
- Slice Onions.
- *TO Carmelize: Slice Onions into rings, put enough Olive oil in pan to cover the bottom. Add about 2 teaspoons of butter, add Onions and cook slowly…40 minutes or more till they turn a lovely brown color. They will naturally carmelize. You must stir as not to burn, but not so much that they don’t brown. (You can put a little balssamic vinegar or wine to help deglaze the pan at the end).
- Place half of your (Carmelized) Onions in the crock pot. Place Pork on top, cover with remaining onions.
- Pour Ginger Ale over the top.
- Cover and Cook on low for 12 Hours.
- All of the fat will melt off. Strain off all of the fat, remove the bone.
- Place pork and onions back into slow cooker, cover with BBQ sauce. Cook another hour or two, on low.
- Serve in fresh rolls with cole slaw!
**(Option to make your own BBQ sauce: 12 oz Cider Vinegar, half cup Ketchup, half cup cold water, 1 Tablespoon sugar, a pinch of red pepper flakes. Whisk altogether and refridgerate till Pork is ready. It will be a thin sauce but very flavorful and perfect for this pork dish)