Understanding the Benefits of a Download Manager
A download manager facilitates downloading of files from the Internet. Designed with specific purposes in mind, a manager can:
- Automatically dial up an Internet provider at night, when rates are low and download files. The manager will disconnect the dial up when the downloading is complete.
- Download huge files for users with a broadband connection, can resume broken downloads, limit downloading capacity, browse a site automatically to download specified content, and do regular updating of downloads.
Easy to use download managers integrate well with web browsers. Features include: scheduling, traffic shaping, virus checking, as well as cataloguing.
Download managers either use BHO, browser helper object or APP, asynchronous pluggable protocol to intercept downloads. Some managers use one while others use both methods. An effective download manager is known to increase download speeds by 500 percent.
- BHO is used by: FlashGet, GoZilla, Mass Downloader, Alligator, and NetAnts.
- APP is used by: GetRight, Re Get, FlashGet, and Download Accelerator Plus.
Downloading videos, freeware, and shareware is facilitated by the use of a download manager. Download managers save downloaded files in appropriate folders and perform their functions late at night when you are not using the net.
- If a download is broken due to browser crash, electricity shut down, or lost connection, a download manager will resume where the process was interrupted.
- A download manager permits viewing of partially downloaded video files.
- It will allow you to drag and drop, download links to a floating icon.
- It can be programmed to begin when the PC is not in use and shut down on completion.
- One can formulate simple rules which the manager will follow to download several files from a site.
- Download managers do automatic recursive downloads.
- A manager manages files and gives instant review of downloads.
A few download managers grant greater user control while others are designed such that the content developers have control. Some like GoZilla display adware in the user interface while others have spyware, FlashGet. There are some with no adware or spyware like LeechGet 2003.
Download managers are of many kinds. Some are free while others require payment. Commonly used managers are: Offline Explorer, Nici, GoZilla, WellGet, Download Accelerator Plus, and Mozilla Firefox. Related to but different are P2P applications: Kazaa, eMule, BitTorrent, and stream recorders.
An ideal download manager must be:
- Easy to use.
- Not have spyware or adware.
- Provide effortless downloads.
Any good download manger must maximize PC use, independently handle downloads, handle interruptions, and store files efficiently. Most download managers have built in systems that accelerate downloads by dealing with multiple segments simultaneously.
Choose a manager after you compute your PC needs. Find out what integrates well with your system. Always keep abreast with developments and changes in technology. A suitable download manager can make life easy and wonderful. Enjoy movies, videos, news clips, photographs, as well as games.
Paul Wilson is a freelance writer for www.1888SoftwareDownloads.com, the premier website to find Free Software Downloads including free anti-virus software, free spyware detection software, free toolbars, free chat software and more. He also freelances for www.1888FreeOnlineGames.com.
Article Source: ArticleGeek.com – Free Website Content