Smoked Chicken over Mostaccioli
- Serving Size: 4 – 6
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes (Note: the smoked chicken recipe may be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time and kept refrigerated)
- Total Cooking time: 15 minutes
This is one of my wife’s favorite recipes that I prepare. This is a quick to prepare recipe, a delicious combination of smoked chicken breasts, mushrooms and diced roma tomatoes in sauce of milk, butter, garlic and Parmesan Cheese. It is one of those recipes where every ingredient plays off of and compliments the others to make a dish that while easily affordable on a pauper’s budget, is truly fit for the table of a king. I have included the recipe for oven smoked chicken breasts but you can also use already prepared smoked chicken, which is available at some specialty delis and at some supermarket deli counters.
|3/4||lbs||smoked chicken breasts, diced into ¾” cubes (recipe follows)|
|1 1/2||cups||diced Roma tomatoes (use fresh tomatoes)|
|2 1/2||tablespoon||clarified butter|
|3/4||cup||grated parmesan cheese|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
Smoked Chicken Breasts
|3/4||lbs||Boneless/Skinless chicken breasts (approximately 3 half breasts)|
|3||tablespoon||Liquid Smoke Seasoning (I use Stubbs’s Brand Mesquite flavor)|
|Black pepper to taste|
To Prepare Pasta:
- Prepare Mostaccioli pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process and avoid overcooking. Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat until shimmering hot.
- Add the clarified butter and swirl pan to coat well. When the butter is hot, add the diced tomatoes and mushrooms and sauté briefly until mushrooms begin to change color. Add the minced garlic, smoked chicken breasts, heavy cream and milk. Stir constantly and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the parmesan cheese. Let simmer until sauce begins to thicken and add in the mostaccioli. Return to a simmer another 2-3 minutes or just until all ingredients are heated thru.
- Serve with garlic bread and a nice crisp white whine such as Fume Blanc or Chardonnay.
To prepare: Smoked Chicken Breasts
- Place the chicken in a large Ziploc bag and add the liquid smoke and seasonings. Place in refrigerator and marinate at least 1 hour. Pour chicken breasts and marinade into a baking dish just large enough to hold all ingredients (a 9 inch baking pan should suffice). Cover and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked thru. Remove from oven and cool.