Maryann’s Party Salad (aka Fiesta Salad)
- Serving Size: 8 – 10
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Total Cooking time: 0 minutes
My friend Susi Michael recently brought this salad to a party. I LOVED it and hounded her until she sent it to me…it’s a great summer salad. With all of the different colored ingredients it’s also very pretty! Now…I was craving this salad and decided to make it with what I had on hand, of course I didn’t have it all…so whether you use Susi’s Original or my (in the Parentheses) version…I’m sure you’ll love it!!!
|1||lb||(or more) cooked turkey breast, cubed (Chicken Breast…only had about 1/2 lb).|
|3||celery ribs (or more) chopped|
|1 or 2||medium or large sweet red pepper (I used 2)|
|1 or 2||bunches||green onions, sliced|
|1||lb||frozen peas (I only had canned)|
|1||lb||frozen corn (I only had canned)|
|1 can||(15 oz. or larger)||drained and rinsed (Essential word missing, so I skipped it! Maybe black beans?)|
|1/4-1/2||cup||pickled jalapeno slices, chopped (I used 3/4 cup! Like it spicy!!!)|
|1 can||(4 oz. or larger)||sliced black olives, drained (I was out of olives, so I skipped them)|
|2/3||cup (or more)||uncooked long grain rice (I used 1 & 1/2 cups)|
|1/4||cup||canola oil (I used Vegetable Oil)|
|1||Tbsp||lime juice or juice of two limes|
|1/2 or 1||tsp||cumin|
|1 or 2||tsp||molasses (I used honey)|
- Cook rice according to package directions. Mix hot rice and frozen corn and peas in large bowl. Rice defrosts vegetables, vegetables cool rice…(Obviously if you use my version you will just be dumping the canned veggies incooled rice) After a while, add other salad ingredients.
- Combine chili powder and cumin in small non-stick skillet. Toast over low heat, stirring constantly, until you can smell it – 1-2 minutes.
- Combine dressing ingredients, shake well. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours, preferably over night.