Packet Roasted Balsamic Green Beans
- Serves: 4 – 5
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Total Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ever cook in a packet?? The French call it…’en papillote’ I call it simple! Put your ingredients in a foil pouch, the steam inside locks in the flavor & keeps your goodies juicy tender! But my favorite part: It’s virtually mess free.
|2||Tbsp||extra-virgin olive oil|
|2||tsp||pure maple syrup|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|12||oz||green and/or yellow beans|
|2||bell peppers, thinly sliced lengthwise|
|1/3||cup||toasted pine nuts (see Tip)|
- Preheat oven to 400°F (or see Grill Variation, below).
- To prepare packets, start with four 20- to 24-inch-long pieces of foil. Fold in half crosswise. With the foil folded, draw half a heart shape on one side as you would if you were making a Valentine. Use scissors to cut out the heart shape. Open up the heart.
- Mix oil, mustard, syrup, garlic and salt in a large bowl. Add beans and peppers; toss.
- Place one-fourth of the vegetable mixture (about 1 cup) on one side of each open heart fairly close to the crease and leaving at least a 1-inch boarder around the edges for folding. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Close the packet to cover the ingredients. Starting at the top, seal the packet by folding the edges together in a series of small, tight folds. Twist the tip of the packet and tuck it underneath to help keep the packet closed. Place the packets on a large rimmed baking sheet (packets may overlap slightly). Bake until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Let packets rest unopened for 5 minutes. Drizzle the vegetables with vinegar just before serving.
Tip: To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Grill Variation: Cooking in packets is great for the grill.
To prepare packets for grilling, start with eight 20- to 24-inch-long pieces of foil. Layer two sheets for each of four packets (the double layers will help protect the contents from burning). Arrange the ingredients on one half of each double layer. Fold the foil over the ingredients and tightly seal the packets by crimping and folding the edges together. Grill over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the packets to another spot on the grill about halfway through to ensure even cooking.