Easy as Bing Cherry Pie
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Total Cooking time: 50 minutes
Getting summer off to a great start is easy. California cherry season kicks off around Memorial Day, which is the perfect time to invite friends over for a party to celebrate the season. Go to calcherry.com for more Bing cherry recipes and step-by-step instructions that shows you how to make the “Easy as Bing Cherry Pie.”
|1||9-inch||refrigerated pie crust|
|5||cups||fresh California Bing cherries, pitted|
|1/2||cup||regular rolled oats|
|Vanilla ice cream (optional)|
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Step 1: Crust. A wide selection of pre-made pie crusts is available in the refrigerator or frozen section of your local grocery store. Most will come in an oven-safe aluminum pie pan. (Note: It is a good idea to place the pan on a cookie sheet for stability while assembling and then place in the oven.)
- Step 2: Pit cherries. Fresh Bing cherries must be pitted for this recipe. And, since you’ll need 5 cups, this step is the most time-consuming in the process. However, a simple cherry pitting device can likely be purchased at your grocery store and will do the job quite nicely. Make sure to wear an apron in case you splatter juice. If you have young children around, they may enjoy helping to pit the cherries. More hands will make the job go much faster, but it is recommended taking this activity outside.
- Step 3: Filling. Combine the pitted cherries in a bowl with sugar and tapioca flour. Mix well and spoon into the prepared pie crust.
- Step 4. Topping. Technically, a pie with a crumb topping is called a crisp. But those who eat this dish will love it so much they won’t care what it’s called. Simply combine the remaining ingredients – oats, sugar, flour, softened butter, cinnamon and salt – into a small bowl and mix until evenly distributed and crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the filling. Place in the oven and bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325 and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes until bubbly and browned on top. Allow to cool to room temperature. Top each slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Serves eight.
Courtesy of ARA Content