The weather was so perfect last Saturday I was out enjoying some really great events. I missed the Calaveras grape stomp, Columbia "Bango" Contest, Oktoberfest celebration but I made it up Old Priest’s grade to Groveland for Living History Day at the Groveland Museum by Southern Tuolumne County Historical Society.
There was so much to do from grinding wheat, churning butter, pressing apples for cider, making candles, spinning and weaving, using a washboard to wash clothes… I am glad I don’t have to work that hard for the basics. The kids had a great time but like the ant and the grasshopper the storms this week reminded me of other necessary basics: winter preparation.
Here is my list of things check off before winter weather really sets in:
- Clean the gutters Of course this one is easy to put off as the leaves continue to fall, but mine need some clips as well because they sag a bit in some places.
- Check the tread on the tires/Get new all weather tires (more Tips for Staying Safe on the Road this Winter)
- Get the stove cleaned (Tips for a Cleaner and More Efficient Wood Fire)
- Prepare the yard for hungry deer (more here)
- Inspect and insulate windows and pipes for leaks (more here)
- Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly