Mower Causes Fire Near Wallace
Wallace, CA — Officials determined the cause of a fire that burned ½ acre near Slate Drive in the Wallace area on Wednesday afternoon.
The Calaveras Consolidated Fire Department reports that it was started by a riding lawnmower. The mower, along with a small shed, were both destroyed by the fire.
Other agencies that responded along with Calaveras Consolidated Fire include CAL Fire, East Bay Municipal Utilities District and Clements Fire.
The fire ignited during the four o’clock hour. The person using the equipment was cited for starting the fire.
Information from CAL Fire about safely using equipment can be found below:
Here’s how to do it the right way
Mow before 10 a.m., but never when it’s windy or excessively dry. Lawnmowers are designed to mow lawns, not weeds or dry grass. Metal blades striking rocks can create sparks and start fires. Use caution.
In wildland areas, spark arresters are required on all portable gasoline-powered equipment. This includes tractors, harvesters, chainsaws, weed-eaters and mowers.
Keep the exhaust system, spark arresters and mower in proper working order and free of carbon buildup.
Use the recommended grade of fuel and don’t top it off.
In wildland areas, grinding and welding operations require a permit and 10 feet of clearance. Keep a shovel and a fire extinguisher ready to use.
Don’t drive your vehicle onto dry grass or brush. Hot exhaust pipes and mufflers can start fires that you won’t even see – until it’s too late!
Keep a cell phone nearby and call 911 immediately in case of fire.
To protect water quality, do not clear vegetation near waterways to bare soil. Vegetation removal can cause soil erosion, especially on steep slopes. Always keep soil disturbance to a minimum.