Update: new blog about our new classifieds is here.
All classified ads are extremely current – hurry to make an offer before the item disappears!
There are too many great features to mention but I can certainly help with basic issues.
Unfortunately, the power of online classifieds also makes them a target of would-be scammers. Here are some common-sense tips to help you avoid becoming a victim:
- Deal Locally – This will help you avoid most scams. Providing and calling a 209 area code is a good clue.
- WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service = BIG RED FLAG – Never wire money via these methods. Anyone who asks you to do so is most likely a scammer.
- CASHIER CHECKS AND MONEY ORDERS – Sound great, but, fakes are common and banks will hold you accountable when the fakes are discovered weeks later.
- myMotherLode.Com IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, (other than for placing the ad) guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer “buyer protection” or “seller certification”. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a scammer.
- NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
- AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES
- ONLY A SCAMMER WILL “GUARANTEE” YOUR TRANSACTION – there are too many entities involved, from mail carrier, to postal employee, to driver, for anyone to guarantee your transaction
Someone tried to scam me, who do I call?
- FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- FTC online complaint form
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center www.ic3.gov
- Non-emergency number for your local police department in some cases
If you know that an item posted for sale on myMotherLode.com is a scam, click to see the full ad details and to the left is “Report ad to moderator”
The Bottom Line:
If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Use common sense. There are many pet scams, there are many ways we limit this but there are scams posted daily.
If you wouldn’t be comfortable paying for or selling an item a certain way in the brick and mortar world, then don’t do it online. Use trusted service providers like Visa, Mastercard, and Paypal. Keep records and receipts for your transactions. And if something sounds funny, then ask questions.
With more than 500,000 visitors a month and 2 million page views, advertising on myMotherLode.com puts an ad for your business in front of a huge audience! myMotherLode.com has many options for a range of budgets. If you would like to advertise with us, please e-mail Larry England or give him a call at (209) 533-1450 x24.