Quantcast
help information
Clear
87.3 ° F
Full Weather

Spontaneous Combustion Caused Cedar Ridge Fire

Sonora, CA — According to Cal Fire Investigator Rommie Jones spontaneous combustion caused the Sunday afternoon fire that destroyed a 1,700 square foot “second home” at the end of Rusty Spur Rd. off Oxbow Lane above Cedar Ridge.

The home was owned by Jeff Bush of Burlingame. His mother and a friend were staining the deck and sides. They left the residence at approximately 1pm.

Shortly thereafter spontaneous combustion of the rags used for staining caused the fire that totally destroyed the structure valued at $275,000.

Jones added that it is not a rarity for the chemicals in an oil based product to be involved in a spontaneous combustion action.

Air Attack, one air tanker, Copter 404, five state engines, Twain Harte Fire District, Cedar Ridge Station #58 and two hand crews responded to the fire.

Written by Bill Johnson