Fire Destroys Columbia Residence
Columbia, CA — Fire completely destroyed the Jeff Solo residence of approximately 3,000 plus square feet along with a garage on Baxter Quarry Rd. early Friday evening.
The fire was initially reported at approximately 5:45. According to CAL FIRE Fire Prevention Bureau Chief Dennis Townsend, an explosion was heard but there is a possibility that may not have been the cause of the fire.
Tuolumne County Fire Marshall Kary Hubbard complimented the home owners on a well graveled road with a clearly marked address. At the same time she added that firefighters had a diffcult time due to fireworks that were stored in the residence which ultimately caused a number of spot fires over a two to three acre area.
Units responding included CAL FIRE, the Tuolumne County Fire Department, a helicopter utilized for water drops, a Chinese Camp water tender, the U.S. Forest Service and a base camp unit from the Sierra Conservation Center. Battalion Chief Craig Konklin served as the incident commander.
According to Hubbard, there were no injuries to the residents or firefighting personnel.
Written by Bill Johnson.