Sonora, Ca — Some observant neighbors helped avert a potential disaster this morning at 453 S. Shepherd St. in Sonora.
Sonora Fire Chief Mike Barrows says the department responded to a report of a structure fire shortly before 11am. It was later discovered that the flames were coming from an eight ft. fence that is connected to an adjacent game room on the property.
“The fire was throwing off flames big enough that the next door neighbors could see the smoke and the flames,” says Barrows.They managed to scale the wall, and knock the heat out of the fire with a garden hose that had a lawn sprinkler attached.”
Upon arrival, fire crews helped extinguish the remainder of the fire. Had it not been for the quick response of the two neighbors, Barrows says it would have likely extended to the adjacent game room.
Barrows says the cause of the fire was electrical in nature. He says the property owners will be notified, and the department will work with them to correct the problems which caused the fire.
Written by BJ Hansen