Sacramento, CA — After sending resources to help with Southern California wildfires, CAL FIRE is urging all residents to maintain defensible space around their homes and property.
CAL FIRE says removing dead vegetation from within 100 feet of your home can your increase safety.
Other steps include:
– Remove all flammable vegetation 30 feet from all structures.
– Clear all needles and leaves from roofs, eaves and rain gutters.
– Trim branches six feet from the ground.
– Remove branches 10 feet from all chimneys.
– Use power equipment before 10 a.m. and after 6 p.m., not in the heat of the day.
– Landscape with fire resistant plants.
CAL FIRE will hold wildfire awareness week beginning May 6. The agency will host numerous events to educate the public on good defensible space.
For more information, visit www.fire.ca.gov.
Written by Vanessa Turner.