Street Details for Christmas Parade
Sonora, CA – There are some new parking rules for this year’s 29th annual Christmas Parade. It’s and event that is a treat for the eyes of thousands of parade goers. To make sure you don’t miss a second of the spectacle, the Sonora Police Department has the all the road details.
1.) NEW THIS YEAR: “NO PARKING” will be allowed on the side streets between Washington Street and Green Street and between Washington Street and Stewart starting at 2 pm and vehicles will be towed.
2.) “NO PARKING” will be allowed on Washington Street from Elkin Street (the Red Church) to Williams Street starting at 2 pm. Sonora Police will give you a heads up if you do park in this area, but if they can’t reach you your car will be towed.
Sgt. Glen Roberts says, “We are hoping to make a little safer environment for parade goers. On Washington Street we want people to be able to sit on the curb and not in the street while the parade is going on. After the parade as people gather in the streets we want them to be able to walk around without worrying about cars driving on the streets.”
Also, drop offs for people in the parade is on Shaws Flat Road, in front of Sonora High School. Police say participants can then walk across the campus to the staging area. They say disabled participants may be dropped off at the intersection of South Washington and School Street.
Below is a list of the street closures and the detours that will be in place during the parade. All detour routes will be marked.
MAIN STREET CLOSURES
• School Street will be closed from 2:00 pm until approximately 8:00 pm.
• Washington Street will be closed to “ALL” traffic from the intersection of Snell Street to the intersection of Hospital Road from 5:00 pm until approximately 8:00 pm.
• Restano Way will be closed from 5:00 pm until approximately 8:00 pm.
• Stockton Road will be closed to “ALL” traffic at the intersection of S. Green Street and Stockton Road.
• Southbound traffic on Washington St. will be detoured onto Elkin St., then onto Stewart Street, then up Mono Way.
• Northbound traffic on Washington St. will be detoured up Hospital Road to Mono Way and down Mono Way onto Stewart Street, then onto Elkin and back onto Washington St.
• Eastbound traffic on Stockton Road will be stopped at Green Street and turned around. Northbound Highway 49 traffic will detour up Forest Rd. from Stockton Road, then up Bonanza St. to Highway 49.
Click here to view map of parade area.