Tuolumne, CA — Summerville high school district has released a Request For Qualifications (RFQ) in the process of spending its bond money.
Some of Summerville’s projects could be completed with a process called Lease-lease back (LLB). The LLB process involves a district leasing its property to a qualified builder. The lease agreement states the builder must construct a building or improvement on the property before the lease is up for a specific amount of money. LLB is a way to allow the District to get work done without advertising for bids or using the lowest bid method.
The Lease-lease back method is authorized by the state legislature, California’s Education Code section 17406, to deliver school facilities on time, on budget and with a reduced level of public risk.
Summerville’s request states in part:
The intent of the District is to acquire the pre-construction services and construction of the Phase 1 modernization work at Summerville High School.
The District makes no representations or guarantees that the successful Builder selected and awarded the pre-construction contract will be selected to undertake construction of the Phase 1 modernization work described in this Request for Qualifications (“RFQ”). The District retains the absolute right to award construction of the Phase 1 modernization work to an entity other than the successful Builder selected to provide pre-construction services.
The modernization work to be constructed at Summerville High School will be performed over the course of multiple years in three phases. By way of this RFQ, the District is soliciting proposals only for pre-construction services and construction of the Phase 1 modernization work at Summerville High School. The Phase 1 of the modernization work is expected to be completed by August 2014 (estimated schedule attached as Exhibit B). The District makes no representations or guarantees that the successful Builder selected and awarded the contract for Phase 1 work will be selected to undertake Phase 2 or Phase 3 work. The District retains the absolute right to award Phase 2 and Phase 3 work to an entity other than the successful Builder selected for
Phase 1 work.
Phase 1 scope of work is as follows:
1. New football field and 8-lane track
2. New field lighting
3. New bleachers on hillside (accessible)
4. New 200-seat capacity portable/moveable bleacher system for visitor football games
5. New pressbox (accessible)
6. Path of travel upgrades to pressbox
7. Upgrade restrooms at concession stand to ADA
8. Technology and infrastructure upgrades for classrooms
For informational purposes only, Phase 2 scope of work is as follows:
1. Baseball field upgrades. Move (E) homeplate 15′ towards pitching mound to create more space for bleacher seating
2. New location of 3-bay bus barn – 2 interior, 1 exterior covered bus washing bay, driver lounge, offices, parking. Plans have previously been developed.
3. Selective HVAC and roof repair
4. Demo (E) Building P, provide new art classroom (modular)
5. New student quad lunch shelter for 150 students
For informational purposes only, Phase 3 scope of work is as follows:
1. Agriculture – New buildings and (E) building upgrades
a. Modernize (E) fabrication/welding shop
b. New vet science barn (modular)
c. New vet science classroom/lab (modular)
d. Relocate existing agricultural portable adjacent to wrestling portable near gyms
e. New greenhouse (modular)
2. Parking lot resurfacing
More information here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hyqz1znu2e3pief/fMGe_5eNjG
- July 5 or 11, 2013: Notice to Proceed to LLB Contractor on preconstruction services;
- July 15, 2013: 1st advertisement for modular building bids; LLB contractor commencing modular building bidding;
- July 22, 2013: 2nd advertisement for modular building bids;
- August 1, 2013: Modular building bids due to LLB contractor;
- August 7, 2013: Modular building bid recommendations placed on 8/14 board agenda;
- August 14, 2013: Amendment to preconstruction services to accommodate modular building component;
- August 15, 2013: LLB contractor issues Notice to Proceed to modular building Manufacturer to prepare construction documents;
- September 16, 2013: 90% modular building construction documents due to LLB contractor and BCA for review;
- September 30, 2013: 100% modular building construction documents and HPI credit documentation due to LLB contractor and BCA;
- October 11, 2013: DSA submittal;
- February 2014: estimated DSA approval;
- March – April, 2014: SUHS, Phase #1 Bid / Award Phase;
- May – August, 2014: SUHS, Phase #1 Construction Phase