Sonora, CA — The hot weather will increase the fire risk this weekend across Northern California.
Several CAL Fire employees in the Mother Lode that were scheduled to be off this weekend, will be working in the event that there is a large wildfire, according to spokesperson Lisa Williams. The Tuolumne-Calaveras unit also has the ability to call in outside resources if deemed necessary. CAL Fire reports that 94% of fires are human caused, so they have the following advice.
• Never throw a cigarette out of a car
• Only mow during the early morning hours
• Ensure campfires are allowed, and if so, be sure to extinguish them completely
• Never pull your vehicle over in dry grass
• Never burn landscape debris like leaves or branches on No Burn nights or when it’s windy
• Make sure all portable gasoline-powered equipment have spark arresters
Temperatures could reach the triple digits in the region today and tomorrow. There is also a chance of thunderstorms over the next few days. Click here to view an earlier story on the changing weather conditions.