Strawberry, CA — The CHP reports that a falling boulder near Strawberry nearly hit a passing motorist.
It happened yesterday morning on Highway 108 during a period of heavy rainfall. Thankfully there were no injuries reported as a result of the incident. Caltrans brought in a loader to remove the big rock so that traffic could again safely pass through.
We reported yesterday that nearby Highway 108 Sonora Pass is now closed for the season.
Following the incident, Caltrans released the following tips and pointers for motorists traveling this time of year.
•Slow down on rain or snow slick roads to prevent spin-outs- stopping distances are longer
• Allow for extra travel time
• Carry chains at all times- you may not be allowed to continue without having them in your possession
• Stop early to install chains- the road may be clear at the sign where there is a turnout, but will be slick a bit further where there is no safe place to pull over
• Visibility decreases in snow showers
• Carry an emergency kit with extra food, water and clothing- if you get delayed, you’ll be glad you have it.