Sonora, CA – Expecting the crowd to reach anywhere from 10-12 thousand, Sonora Police Department (SPD) want to remind parade goers of street and parking rules to make it an enjoyable family event.
Clowns, floats, cars, bands and Santa will be hitting Washington Street/Highway 49 in Downtown Sonora on Friday evening to mark the City’s 33rd annual Christmas Parade. To make sure getting to and from the event runs smoothly police will be in charge of traffic control and security for the parade.
The SPD has issued these rules for revelers:
- Parade participant drop off is on Shaws Flat Road, in front of Sonora High School. The participants can then walk across the campus to the staging area. Disabled participants may be dropped off at the intersection of North Washington and School Streets.
- “NO PARKING” will be allowed on Washington Street (Highway 49) from the Red Church to Toby Street. The “NO PARKING” restriction will start at 2 pm on Friday, 25 Nov. 2016. If you park in this area we will attempt to contact you, so you can move your vehicle. Unfortunately, if you can’t be contacted or you can’t move your vehicle in a timely manner, your vehicle will be towed.
- “NO PARKING” will be allowed on the side streets between Washington Street (Highway 49) and Green Street, as well as between Washington Street (Highway 49) and Stewart Street. These restrictions will start at 2 pm on Friday, 25 Nov. 2016. Vehicles parked in these areas will also be towed.
- The Tuolumne County Transit’s Holiday Trolley will run from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, on the day of the parade. There are several pick-up and drop off locations in the downtown area. For more information regarding the Holiday Trolley schedule click here. log onto www.tuolumnecountytransit.com .
- School Street will be closed from 3:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
- Washington Street (Highway 49) will be closed to “ALL” traffic from the intersection of Snell Street to the intersection of Hospital Road from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
- Restano Way will be closed from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
- Stockton Road (Highway 49) will be closed to “ALL” traffic at the intersection of S. Green Street and Stockton Road from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
- Southbound traffic on Washington Street (Highway 49) will be detoured onto Elkin Street, then onto Stewart Street, up to Mono Way.
- Northbound traffic on Washington Street will be detoured up Hospital Road to Mono Way, then down Mono Way to Stewart Street, then onto Elkin Street and back onto Washington Street (Highway 49).
- Eastbound traffic on Stockton Road (Highway 49) will be detoured north on Forest Road, then north on Bonanza Street to Highway 49. “ALL” traffic will be stopped at Green Street and turned around.
SPD strongly suggest that parade goers arrive prior to the 5:00 pm street closure time. The parade begins at 5:30 p.m. Street closures will remain in place up to 15 minutes following the end of parade. Normally, the traffic in the downtown area clears out in about 30 minutes, according to the SPD.