San Andreas, CA — The change in recycling containers, positioned throughout Calaveras County, involves just the clothing and textile collections, according to public works officials.
Residents have dropped 355,846 pounds into the bins, which likely would have ended up in the Rock Creek Landfill. USAgain textile recycling company reports it is not a question of amount but of reducing overhead costs. The county teamed up with the company in 2014 when it installed over 50 green and white recycling bins at 24 locations around the County. That number has been cut to 18 over the past several weeks. The company says that this will not only decrease its service routes, and in turn its costs, but will also help the environment by curtailing its trucks carbon footprint.
County public works officials ask that textiles put into the bins be dry, clean and in good condition, with no rips or stains. Additionally, all materials must be in tied plastic bags as the items become donated as secondhand clothing or are recycled into new materials like insulation, cleaning rags and padding for the furniture industry.
The county provides this list of the remaining locations to recycle clothing, shoes, accessories and household textiles:
- Las Tres Marias, 7998 Hwy 12, Wallace
- Burson Full Gospel Church, 3201 HWY 12, Burson
- Mar-Val Food Stores, 55 Hwy 26, Valley Springs
- Treasure Bin, 200 E. Hwy 12 #C10 , Valley Springs
- Shell Gas Station Village Mart, 10 Vista Del Lago Drive, Valley Springs
- Zippy Mart Gas Station, 506 E. Hwy 12, Valley Springs
- Chevron Gas Station, 7 Nove Way, Valley Springs
- San Andreas Mini Mart, 401 E St Charles Street, San Andreas
- Treats Grocery Store, 197 E. St Charles Street, San Andreas
- Shell Gas Station, 326 E. St Charles Street, San Andreas
- Wendell’s Restaurant, Hwy 49 at Center Street, Mokelumne Hill
- Stor-All-Storage, 522 Main Street, Copperopolis
- Copperopolis Town Square, 100 Town Square Road, Copperopolis
- Arnold Rental Tools @ Mark Twain Center, 320 N. Main Street, Angels Camp
- Altaville Market, 324 S. Main Street, Angels Camp
- Murphys Village Mart, 138 E Hwy 4, Murphys
- Next!, 220 Big Trees Road, Murphys
- Rock Creek Solid Waste Facility, 12021 Hunt Road, Milton CA