Caltrans Mans Two Holiday Parade Closures
Sonora, CA — Plan for two full road closures and perhaps taking alternate routes if not attending one — or both — of the Mother Lode holiday parades.
Tonight, Caltrans will close Highway 49/Washington Street for the 32nd Historic Downtown Sonora Christmas Parade, which runs from 5:30 p.m. until 8 p.m. Sonora Police Department Officer Glenn Roberts has the details on additional road closures and parking saying, “Street closures will start at two o’clock. School Street between Washington and Snell Street…Washington from the Red Church all the way to Hospital Road. All the side streets between Washington and Green Street….Washington and Stewart Street.”
Roberts adds that at 2 p.m. officers will begin notifying motorists that their vehicles need to be moved in these areas. He notes, “If we can not contact the registered owner, then we will start towing vehicles around 2:30-3 o’clock so the roadway is clear.” (Full road closure list below)
Sonora Police Department urges the public to arrive early since the roadways will close at 5 p.m. Additionally, streets will remain closed for 15 minutes after the parade ends to allow for the crowd to clear the area. Immediately after the parade, Santa will be available for the kids to visit at Heart Rock Café.
Tomorrow, Caltrans will close Highway 49 from Highway 4 to Murphys Grade Road for Angels Camp’s Annual Holiday Parade. The festivities run from 4 to 8 p.m. with the parade beginning at 5 p.m.
The Sonora Police Department has provided this list of street closures and detours:
- School Street will be closed from 2:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
- Washington Street will be closed to “ALL” traffic from the intersection of Snell Street to the intersection of Hospital Road from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
- Restano Way will be closed from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
- Stockton Road will be closed to “ALL” traffic at the intersection of S. Green Street and Stockton Road from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
- Southbound traffic on Washington St. will be detoured onto Elkin St., then onto Stewart Street, then up Mono Way.
- Northbound traffic on Washington St. will be detoured up Hospital Road to Mono Way and down Mono Way onto Stewart Street, then onto Elkin and back onto Washington St.
- Eastbound traffic on Stockton Road will be detoured north on Forest Rd., then north on Bonanza Street to Highway 49. All traffic will be stopped at Green Street and turned around.