61.3 ° F
Full Weather
Sponsored By:

Butte Fire: Relief Resources And Ways To Help

Sponsored by:

Sonora, CA — In this update, Clarke Broadcasting provides organized resources and the latest, up-to-date information on Butte Fire donations, current needs and relief support.

Agencies and organizations who would like to add to the list, please email your details and full contact information to

Red Cross Resources, Donations

There is a dedicated 24/7 Red Cross Butte Fire Information Line for details about and to connect with its available resources at: 925 588-6678. Due to high call volumes at times, you may reach an auto-operator recording after which you may leave a message for a callback. All evacuees, whether they need relief assistance right now or not, are advised to register in-person at a Red Cross center so that future funding and assistance will be available to you, should you need it during the recovery phase. It will also show that you are accounted for as “safe and well.”

The Red Cross continues to emphasize that it welcomes financial donations through its website but cannot process in-kind relief supplies at the evacuation centers. To contribute through its online link, click here.

Many of the Red Cross evacuation centers are suggesting that, in Calaveras County, donations of relief supplies be brought to The Resource Connection (see next paragraph).

In-kind Donations Of Relief Goods

–The Resource Connection (206 George Reed Dr., San Andreas) 209 754-1257. This nonprofit community service agency is open weekdays 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and bins are onsite for weekend drop-offs. The organization says food items must be nonperishable only and please – no glass jars.

Current needs as of Monday include: fruit cups; canned or packaged tuna; canned soup; canned tomato products, such as stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce; rice (bagged or boxed); canned fruit; canned vegetables; canned meats (chicken, salmon); peanut butter and jam/jelly in plastic jars only; “meal in a can” products, such as pork & beans, chili, pasta meals; cereal (cold and/or hot); macaroni & cheese; pasta.

The Resource Connection is also collecting dog and cat food. For other details regarding Animal Evacuation resource information, read on. 

–Refuge Angels Camp (642 Murphys Grade Road, Angels Camp) 209 736-2035 The latest, according to Pastor Shawn McCamey, is that they have an abundance of goods, which they are dispersing at six pop up tent locations on the Calaveras County Fairgrounds (101 Frogtown Road, Angels Camp). Through Wednesday, the church will be open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. for donations (see below for needs). Additionally, he adds that his organization is taking requests and keeping lists of what evacuees might need in the coming weeks. Those with longer term needs may contact him at the church’s main phone number above.

Current in-kind donation needs, Pastor McCamey says, include flip-flops for those using the public showers; the footwear has been hard to come by as it is now out-of-season at some local stores. Because they have so many hard goods, he requests those who wish to donate anything else to please consider supplying gift cards for fuel or groceries, such as from Savemart or WalMart.  

–San Andreas Community Covenant Church (261 Treat Ave., San Andreas) 209 754-3881 According to Shirley Holligan onsite, the church is still taking donations of supplies daily through this Thursday from noon until 7 p.m.

Special needs right now include bottled water; lunchmeat and cheese slices in pre-sealed packages only (no deli-paper and plastic wrapped); peanut butter and jelly; snacks in individual servings such as chips, pretzels, nuts, trail mix, bars, pudding, fruit and/or Jello cups. Boxed cereal and crackers are also good, she says.

The church will additionally host its weekly Wednesday night dinner at the town hall from 4:30 to 6 p.m. and is planning to have additional hot meals available.

NOTE: Ironstone Vineyards in Murphys is no longer collecting relief donations.

See below Animal Evacuation entries for additional donation opportunities.

Calaveras County Evacuation Centers

Red Cross Evacuation Center Locations (no pets; no alcohol)

–Good Samaritan Church (4684 Baldwin St., Valley Springs) 209 772-9548

“Good Sam” is currently collecting clothing donations and distributing same to those in need. However, all in-kind donations — except for clothing — should currently go to The Resource Connection (see In-Kind Donations info, above) for processing.

–Jenny Lind Veterans Hall (189 Pine St., Valley Springs) 209 772-9650

–Valley Spring Veterans Hall (8747 Pine St.) 925 588-6694

–Glory Bound Fellowship  (3061 Highway 12, Burson) 209 772-0480 *pet-friendly

–Church of Christ (703 Paloma Road, Valley Springs) 209 772-9553

Other Centers

–Burson Full Gospel Church (3201 Highway 12, Burson) 209 772-9310 According to Joanne Holmquist, one of the site mangers, there is plenty of room, both in cot space as well as for RV or dry camping in tents. The center is Red Cross-registered, is manned 24/7, and has visiting nurses and a doctor, according to Holmquist. As for needs, see below.

Anyone or business with large storage “Connex Boxes” to lend would be welcome, as space for relief supplies is limited and somewhat vulnerable to the weather. Plastic household and business storage containers are also needed. Food-wise, the center would appreciate lettuce, either bagged or in heads, as well as all types of melons as these keep well and are being used to feed evacuees onsite. 

–Burson Glory Bound Fellowship (3061 Highway 12, Valley Springs) 209 772-0480 According to church volunteer worker Diann Logan, the center has 18 open cots and camping capacity. Logan adds that the center is manned 24/7 with Red Cross coming by once daily with food and there is also a daily nurse visit. They have plenty of baby supplies to offer in addition to shelter, food, water and clothing. See below for donation ideas.

The center can currently use tarps and tents, including those of the “easy-up” four-pole shade cover kind, as well as plastic storage bins. Food-wise, they request diabetic foods of all kinds. Although they have dog and cat chow, they presently need chicken feed.   

NOTE: an evacuation center that was set up at Copperopolis Elementary School closed Monday, Sept. 14

For Those In RVs, Campers, Tents:

–The RV camping grounds at the Calaveras County Fairgrounds (101 Frogtown Road, Angels Camp) says it still has plenty of room for those in RVs, campers, tents, etc. There is no charge for camping and there are full hook-ups and laundry facilities.

Senior Services

Common Ground Senior Services may be reached at (209) 498-2246; Calaveras County Public Health has a plan in place for the senior population. Seniors who are in frail health may get three days shelter, air purifiers and transportation, among other kinds of assistance.

Calaveras County Animals

Small Pet Evacuations

–Calaveras County Animal Services (901 Jeff Tuttle Dr., San Andreas) 209 754-6509; dogs and cats that were left off at the Calaveras County Fairgrounds are now being transported to this location. Do not plan to drop off dogs and cats at the fairgrounds. Several local vets are also helping take care of small pets; call your favorite local vet(s) to inquire what they might be offering and/or what referrals they might be making.

Large Animal Evacuations

–Calaveras County Fairgrounds (101 Frogtown Road, Angels Camp) 209 736-2561

At the fairgrounds “Little Red Bunk House” by the livestock pens, donations of animal feed, medicines, and other livestock supplies are welcome, as are donations of hay (including special horse hay for older horses).

Technically trained volunteers are now being sought. Please call the office for details.

Other Animal Resources and Requests

Dog and cat food donations are additionally being collected by The Resource Connection (206 George Reed Dr., San Andreas). Open weekdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with bins onsite for weekend and after hours drop offs.

Those who would like to volunteer with animals should contact the Calaveras County Animal Services Office (901 Jeff Tuttle Dr., San Andreas), where morning and afternoon shifts are available. Call 209 754-6095.

The UC Davis Veterinary Hospital in Sacramento indicates that it is prepared for any animals injured in the Butte and Valley fires. The hospital is equipped with state-of-the-art Intensive Care Units for both large and small animals. For more information, call the appropriate number below:

Large Animals: 530 752-0290
Small Animals: 530  752-1393

Amador County Resources

Red Cross Evacuation Center (no pets; no alcohol)

–Jackson Rancheria Resort (12222 New York Ranch Road, Jackson) Red Cross Direct Line onsite: 209 223-8175

Monday afternoon, due a flare-up in the fire around West Point that forced additional evacuations, the center has been busy checking in more evacuees. According to an official onsite, there is still plenty of cot space in the center; additionally, folks can park their cars and sleep with their animals there or pitch small tents; the RV lot however, is currently full.

Amador County Animal Evacuations

–Amador County Animal Control indicates it is still taking in animals at the county fairgrounds (18621 Sherwood St., Plymouth) 209 245-6921. They cannot take any more animal supply donations at this time and instead are directing donors to a gofundme page set up by the Amador County Animal Response Team (ACART).