Sonora, CA – With the National Weather Service warning of possible flooding due to the wintry storm blowing into the Mother Lode, both Tuolumne and Calaveras counties are making sand available to residents.
In Tuolumne County, you can get sand at the locations below, but you must bring your own bags and shovels:
- Tuolumne City Fire: End of Chestnut Street @ Parkview
- Tuolumne Road Yard: 18870 Birch Street Jamestown Road Yard, 18188 7th Ave
- Big Oak Flat/Groveland Road Yard parking lot: Hwy 120 and Wards Ferry Road
- Columbia Airport: 10723 Airport Rd at the edge of the paved parking lot (sand available Wednesday, December 10th and is located on the outside of the fences).
Emergency Services officials say sand bags are available for purchase at the following locations:
- Sonora Lumber (previously JS West)–multiples of 25 only
- Hurst Ranch Supply
- Orchard Hardware Supply
- Twain Harte Lumber
In Calaveras County, sand and bags are sitting out for the taking; just bring a shovel to one of the following locations:
- San Andreas Road Yard: 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas
- Murphys Fire Station: 37 Jones Street in Murphys
- Jenny Lind Road Yard: 11558 Milton Road, Valley Springs
- Also in Valley Springs:
- Mangili Road at Valley Springs Sports & Fitness
- Vista del Lago by Duhamel Dentist Office across from Shell Station
You can click here for sand bagging instructions.