Quantcast
help information
Clear
89.4 ° F
Full Weather

No Smoke Detector In Home Of Deadly Blaze

A fire captain€™s widow who died when her house went up in flames didn€™t have a smoke detector in the residence. Janet Marie Dials suffered smoke inhalation and other injuries yesterday while trapped on the bathroom floor of her burning home.

Captain Doug Johnston of the Kern County Fire Department blames the blaze on a cigarette smoldering in a couch. He also says the home did not have a smoke detector. Dials once shared the home with her husband, Floyd Dials, a retired Kern County fire captain who died in 1999.

Dials is survived by five children, including a son who lived so near her home he could hear the sirens and see the fire€™s glow.