69.8 ° F
Full Weather
Sponsored By:

Fire Restrictions Take Effect In High Hazard Forest Areas

Sponsored by:

New fire restrictions went into effect starting today.

The new rules say there´s no smoking and no campfires allowed, except in approved, developed recreation areas.

If you want to use a portable stove or lantern, U.S. Forest Service Spokesman Pat Kaunert says you need a valid California Campfire Permit.

“What those permits do is basically tell you how to keep your campfire from escaping, if you´re camping using a campfire within a developed campground. But also, if you´re outside of a developed campground, you still need that Campfire Permit to have that gas stove or that gas-type lantern,” Kaunert cautioned Wednesday.

Kaunert also says the best way to know where campfires are allowed is to stop by a Forest Service Ranger Station before going camping. He says that will allow campers to do a few things.

“Find out the best places to camp, and the conditions right now, and at the same time get that Campfire Permit. They´re free,” Kaunert added.

You can also visit the Forest Service Office on Greenley Road in Sonora.

Mi-Wok Ranger Station

Highway 108, Mi Wuk Village

(209) 586-3234

Summit Ranger Station

Highway 108, Pinecrest

(209) 965-3434

Groveland Ranger Station

Highway 120, Buck Meadows

(209) 962-7825

Calaveras Ranger Station

Highway 4, Hathaway Pines

(209) 795-1381