Quantcast
help information
Clear
82.2 ° F
Full Weather

Feds Race To Protect Shasta Burn Area

The federal government says it is racing the winter rains to protect Shasta County homes from erosion and mudslides because of the 10,000-acre Bear Fire.

Burned hillsides are highly susceptible to erosion, and a survey last week found several homes could be at risk from runoff and landslides. The emergency watershed protection program includes replanting hillsides, installing drainpipes and sandbags to direct water away from homes, and protecting drainage culverts so they don´t become clogged with trash.

The federal government pays 75 percent of the cost; Shasta County´s Department of Public Works the other 25 percent.

The project should be completed next month, before the onset of winter rains.