Columbia, CA — CDF says a fire in the kitchen area at Columbia´s City Hotel caused about $5000 damage early this morning.
Chief Richard Imlach of CDF says crews responded to the hotel just after midnight.
The cause was determined to have been a pan of grease left on the stove in the restaurant kitchen. He says the fire caused substantial damage to the stove-top and surrounding area.
The flames also reportedly ignited grease in the restaurant´s duct work causing damage to the ventilation system.
Imlach says the heat triggered an activation in the kitchen´s sprinkler system which aided in extinguishing the fire.
Hotel guests staying on the building´s second floor were temporarily evacuated.
Imlach says the damage was contained to the kitchen area and there were no injuries reported.