CDF Officials Warn Of The Possibilty Of Chimney Fires
Sonora, CA — With cooler evening temperatures falling on the Mother Lode, more residents are now lighting up their woodstoves and fireplaces.
Fire officials are warning those residents of the importance of having a clean chimney pipe to avoid flu fires.
Investigator Rommie Jones of CDF says creosote buildup in chimney pipes is a large cause of attic and roof fires.
He says high heat can cause damage to both brick chimneys and stove pipes, and wood inside an attic can lower its ignition temperature over time, thus increasing the risk of an attic fire.
Jones says double walled, insulated piping is required for all vent and chimney pipes and a screen must be either on top of or inside the pipe.
He also says items stored in the attic should be kept well away from the pipe or chimney.
Jones adds that people who burn wood with higher pitch content need to clean their chimneys more often.