InFocus Competition and Exhibition
Date(s) - 03/17/2022
12:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Tuolumne County Arts InFocus committee is excited to announce the details of the 35th Annual InFocus Photography Competition and Exhibition. The show will be open to view at Angelo’s Hall in Columbia beginning March 6, 2022 and will remain open, Thursday-Sunday, through March 20, 2022.
Last year the show was presented virtually. This year we are producing a HYBRID version. Last year the opportunity to create the “whole package” of printed and framed photography was missing. Also missing the opportunity to share the show with local students from Columbia Elementary School, Sonora High School and Columbia College. This year the show will be hung in Angelo’s Hall Columbia and guests may view it live and in person. On March 6th there will be a virtual awards reception where the winners will be announced and the judges will speak about the judging process and how they came to their decisions. The entire show will be available online for those who find that most comfortable.
The categories this year are:
THE BLUE ZONE –– NATURAL MOVEMENT: Blue Zone is a new Adventist Health Sonora community health and well-being initiative making healthy choices easier in our county. One of the driving “Power 9” goals for healthy living is Natural Movement. This category illustrates people, families, or groups, moving in the course of their every-day lives (not in a gym). Images may include gardening, walking, yoga, dancing, dog walking, biking or other activity in natural settings.
LANDSCAPES: Includes but is not limited to landscapes, seascapes, panoramas, time-lapse, outdoor scenes, sunsets, farms, light painting, night shots, aerial photography. These images depict an expanse of scenery. The subject is the overall scenery, and not individual elements of the scene.
MAN MADE: The subject of the image is manufactured, created or constructed by human beings.
ANIMALS: From “Gnat to Whale”, “Domestic to Wild” “Loved to Feared.” May include: Birds, mammals, insects, reptiles, rodents, amphibians, fish and other marine life, domestic pets; any living creature other than a human (they have their own category).
PLANTS: A living organism of the kind exemplified by trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses, ferns and mosses, seeds, bulbs, algae and fungi. May be a macro or close up image or an entire “landscape” if the plant(s) are the subject of the image.
PEOPLE: People images may be photos of groups or individuals. The image could be a staged portrait or could be a spontaneous moment. The people or person is the subject of the image.
This is a juried show. The three Judges will narrow down the field of entries to the top 181 images and those photographers will be asked to “produce” their work to hang in Angelo’s Hall. The judges will come back and view the images “live” and choose their winners. Cash prizes and certificates will be awarded in each category:
• Best of show — $300 and ribbon
• Charles Moore Award Excellence in Photography — $250 and certificate
• Blue Zone – Natural Movement — $250 and a ribbon. Sonora Adventist Health may use this winning photo for one year for promotion.
• First place — $150 and ribbon
• Second place – $75 and ribbon
• Third place — $50 and ribbon
• Judges Choice — $50 and ribbon
• Sponsors Award — $50 and ribbon
• There will be an opportunity for the public to vote for the People’s Choice Award, Adult and Student winners. The winners will receive $50 and a ribbon.
Important dates to remember:
• March 6 Sunday – VIRTUAL Reception 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Via ZOOM
• March 10-13 – Show is open to the public from noon to 5:30 p.m.
• March 17-19 – Show is open to the public from noon to 5:30 p.m.
• March 19, Saturday – Sale day. All works will be discounted 25% to encourage sales
• March 20, Sunday – Show is open to the public from noon to 3:00 p.m.
The committee would like to thank our category sponsors:
• Rick Emery D.D.S.: People
• Adventist Health Sonora: Blue Zone Natural Movement
• Clarke Broadcasting: Charles Moore Award