Author Archives: Marla Elkins, FNP
About Marla Elkins, FNPMarla Elkins, FNP, has worked with Fred Shield, MD, at Cedarwood Internal Medicine for three years. She and Dr. Shield see a wide range of patients with a focus on treating patients with asthma. Marla earned her undergraduate degree in nursing at Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas, and practiced as a registered nurse for four years before earning a masters degree from Arkansas State University in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Marla is a family nurse practitioner, certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Are there any natural treatments for asthma?
- Is asthma preventable? Is there a cure?
- Do allergies have any effect on asthma symptoms?
- What are some symptoms of asthma?
- What is asthma and what are the most common causes of asthma?
- Is there more than one type of asthma?
- How do I know if I am at risk of diabetes? Are there any symptoms I should be aware of?
- Are there any symptoms of high cholesterol? What are the dangers and what are my options if I am diagnosed with high cholesterol?
- I have asthma and am planning to start a family. What precautions do I need to take to have a safe pregnancy?
- Can children “outgrow” their asthma?
- What are some general ways to reduce my health risks?
- I am a 45-year-old female and it has been at least five years since my last physical. I feel pretty healthy so what can I expect from my next visit?
- Are there any general guidelines about when to start health screenings such as mammograms and colonoscopies? What if I have a family history?
- What level of exercise can someone with asthma perform?
- Does being overweight have any effect on asthma symptoms?
- Can stress trigger an asthma attack?
- Are there any foods that can trigger asthma that should be avoided?