(ARA) – With home improvement season upon us, homeowners are eager to make their outdoor living areas as inviting as the inside of their homes. Before visiting the local home and garden center or hiring a professional to create a backyard paradise, consider taking the DIY approach. Here are some tips on how to get started:
- Consider doing less instead of trying to spread a budget over a lot of elements. Focus on one aspect of the back yard that will help to create the atmosphere that is just right.
- Get a design in mind before beginning any project, then prioritize — go in order of implementation. Start with a patio (because it adds the most value and has the most impact), then landscaping and lighting.
- Work with the environment you have and use native plants because they are less expensive to maintain.
- Buy quality, even if it means buying less.
To help consumers create the back yard of their dreams, Intermatic recently unveiled its $20,000 Malibu Outdoor Living Sweepstakes. Now through August 15, 2007, homeowners across the country can enter for a chance to win the ultimate outdoor living space with a grand prize valued at $20,000. The Grand Prize Winner will receive:
- A $15,000 check toward improving their outdoor living space.
- Malibu lighting products including professional installation, valued at $1,000.
- A premium outdoor grill, and
- Patio furniture from www.patiofurnitureusa.com.
Three First Prize Winners will receive $500.00 (ARV) of Malibu lighting products. Homeowners can visit the newly launched www.malibulights.com for complete rules and information on how to enter.
Malibu offers the most complete line of fashionable fixtures and accessories to enhance curb appeal. All Malibu lights can be installed by the DIYer and some can be installed in 60 minutes or less. For more information and for design and installation tips to help achieve a professional look, visit www.malibulights.com.
Malibu has several outdoor lighting products new to the market this spring that are sure to please. Here are descriptions of some of them:
- The American Country Garden Light — comes with a cast metal dual riser and an oil rubbed bronze finish.
- The Contemporary Garden Light — with sleek styling and a textured black finish, gives a fashionable touch to modern-day gardens and outdoor areas.
- The Zen Garden Light.
- The Rustic Handmade Garden Light — features a cast metal shade with an antique copper finish and a metal riser with a unique twist.
- The Eclectic Garden Light — features a metal fixture in a textured black finish with a rounded shade offering durability and sophistication.
- The French Country Walk Light — features a glass globe painted with curling vine accents and cast metal fixtures in a variety of rust-free finishes, for soft, ambient light, perfect for entertaining friends and family.
- East meets West with the Asian influenced Mission Walk Light featuring a square shade with a frosted glass that is perfect for creating a calm and relaxing space. Both functional and aesthetically pleasing, the light is made of cast metal with a black finish.
The new fixtures are available in a variety of finishes and price ranges to satisfy every style and budget. For more information, visit www.malibulights.com.
Courtesy of ARAcontent
For home improvement advice, visit JS West Lumber & Ace Hardware Sonora, Ca. or visit www.acehardware.com and click on the Answers@Ace icon. Answers@Ace is an online resource with information for do-it-yourselfers about hardware and home improvement projects. The Everyday Projects section has pictures and detailed, step-by-step instructions for this and many more home improvement projects.
To speak to an Ace Hardware advisor in Sonora call: 209 532 7446.