Swimming is wonderful for getting in shape and staying in shape.
There are places to have fun or like many of the master swimmers in the Mother Lode you can compete in a local race or triathlon.
Public swimming pools
- Sonora Pool 532-0441
- Columbia Pool 532-3656
- Twain Harte Pool 586-1842
- Tuolumne Pool 928-3932
There are several reservoirs where you can enjoy swimming:
Yosemite Swimming Warnings
- Always supervise children closely.
- Choose swimming areas carefully and swim only during low water conditions.
- Avoid areas of “whitewater” where streams flow over rocky obstructions.
- Never swim or wade upstream from the brink of a waterfall, even if the water appears shallow and calm. Each year unsuspecting visitors are swept over waterfalls to their deaths when swimming in these areas.
- In summer, rivers and creeks swollen by runoff from snowmelt are dangerous. Powerful current, icy water, and river obstructions can trap or kill the unwary.
- Stay away from river and creek banks during high water conditions and avoid rock hopping. Stream polished rocks along the water’s edge may be slippery when wet or dry.
- If you choose to cross a stream without a bridge, avoid deep and/or swift water. If crossing on a natural bridge of rocks or logs, consider where you will land if you fall. Never cross above rapids or falls. To prevent being pulled under by its weight, unbuckle your pack’s waist strap so you can shed it if you fall in. Do not tie yourself into safety ropes--they can drown you.
- The entire length of the Merced River in Yosemite Valley is closed to all floatation devices whenever the river gauge at Sentinel Bridge reads 6.5 feet or higher or when the sum of the air and water and temperature is less than 100°F.
If you want to stay close to where the action is or your activity gets rained out and you want a place to stay here is the full list of places to stay.
This is only a small taste of where this activity can be enjoyed. Tell us about your favorite place! Share your experiences send an email to Recreation Information If you would like to advertise with us, please e-mail our sales department sales department or give us a call at (209) 533-1450. To see the gallery of our current advertisers click here.