Brown Signs Bills To Improve Higher Education
SACRAMENTO - Governor Jerry Brown announced that he has signed legislation to help California's college and university students and improve higher education throughout the state.
Brown was Tuesday's KVML "Newsmaker of the Day".
These bills bring greater transparency to school fees, establish a process to develop low-cost digital textbooks, set academic progress standards for fee waivers, improve information on school loans and protect student athletes. Governor Brown signed the bills during a meeting with California college students in his office.
A few reactions throughout the state included:
"AB 970 dramatically helps increase transparency and accountability surrounding student fee implementation. This will give students and their families more time to prepare financially and also voice their concerns before tuition is increased." - Sean Kiernan, Fresno State University.
"The Governor signing AB 970 is a great first step for this academic year in holding the UC regents more accountable to student's needs, and ensuring transparency between the UC regents and students with fee hike implementations. After the meeting with Governor Brown, it was extremely refreshing knowing that he is in great support of reforming higher education to ensure affordability to lower income and middle class students." - Emily Truax, UC Berkeley.
"With the passage of AB 970, Gov. Brown has taken a great step to making UC and CSU accountable for the fee increases that are enacted. By giving students and their families time to prepare for an increase, it will hopefully curb the amount of students that must drop out when an increase occurs."- Jonathan Ly, UC Merced, UCSA Board member.
"The Governor's action to sign legislation for California's colleges and universities demonstrates his commitment to higher education within the state. Accountability and transparency are two necessary steps to ensure the continued improvement of education quality and opportunity for California students." - Monica Sharma, UC Davis.
"AB 970 is integral for giving students and families substantial notice for student fee increases so we have a chance to plan for it, especially in this rough economy...Students simply want to have the opportunity to defend their education and engage themselves in the process." - Raquel S. Morales, UC San Diego, UCSA Board member.
The Governor signed the following bills:
• AB 970 by Assemblymember Paul Fong (D-Mountain View) - University of California and California State University: systemwide student fees.
• SB 1052 by Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) - Public postsecondary education: California Open Education Resources Council.
• SB 1053 by Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) - Public postsecondary education: California Digital Open Source Library.
• SB 1289 by Senator Ellen Corbett (D-San Leandro) - Postsecondary education: private student loans.
• SB 1456 by Senator Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach) - Community colleges: Seymour-Campbell Student Success Act of 2012.
• SB 1525 by Senator Alex Padilla (D-Pacoima) - Postsecondary education: Student Athlete Bill of Rights.
For full text of the bills, visit: http://leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html.
The "Newsmaker of the Day" is heard each weekday morning on AM 1450 KVML at 6:47, 7:47 and 8:47am.
Written by Mark Truppner