Officials boy took bullet to jaw last month at LA school
LOS ANGELES — A student is recovering after being shot in the jaw at a Los Angeles middle school last month and officials say the boy was possibly struck by a bullet fired from off campus.
The Los Angeles Times reports the student was injured Aug. 27 at Hollenbeck Middle School in Boyle Heights. Officials didn’t publicly acknowledge the incident until Tuesday.
School Police Chief Steven Zipperman says the boy was in a lunch line when another student noticed he was bleeding. Zipperman says the student said he felt something strike him. Nobody heard gunfire. He was treated by a school nurse and his mother took him to a hospital.
The Times says parents were initially notified that a student was injured. A follow-up message Tuesday said the injury was from an off-campus discharge of a firearm.
Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com/