Sacramento, CA — The Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation will start screening sex offenders for their risk to reoffend while they are still in prison.
The move came in an executive order from Governor Schwarzenegger Friday.
Acting Corrections Secretary James Tilton says staffers will immediately start reviewing about 1,400 offenders scheduled to be released from California prisons in the next three months.
The recommendation comes from a task force the governor set up last month to review the state´s policies for high-risk sex offenders.
Tilton says local police complained they didn´t have enough warning about offenders being released into their community.
Now, they´ll know at least 45 days in advance if a sex offender is considered high-risk to comply with a state law requiring them to live at least half a mile from schools and playgrounds.