A 64-year-old Modesto man who lived in his car, but wanted a motor home is dead after the one he bought exploded.
Fire officials say Bob Cunningham paid $1,300 for the motor home from a dismantling operation Friday. But he couldn´t escape when it caught fire minutes later.
Officials believe Cunningham and a friend used gasoline to prime the vehicle´s carburetor. They say the ignition apparently triggered an explosion. Family members say Cunningham had back, neck and knee problems and couldn´t escape the vehicle.
They say he planned to drive the motor home to a Modesto trailer park and live in it.