Officials of the giant Los Padres National Forest in Southern California and coastal Central California are looking at closing portions of the forest to the public because of the extreme danger of wildfires. The Angeles National Forest and much of the San Bernardino National Forests north and east of Los Angeles were closed to recreation last week due to the fire danger related to severe drought.
Los Padres National Forest spokeswoman Kathy Good said of the possibility of closure will be discussed Monday by federal forest officials. She says: “We´re talking about it, but we haven´t reached a decision point yet. We´re looking at the fuel conditions and firefighting resources available to us.” She adds that positive factors are that there are no active fires currently in the Los Padres National Forest, the weather is becoming cooler, and firefighting resources are in place if a forest wildfire does erupt.
Effective yesterday in much of the nearly 700-thousand-acre San Bernardino National Forest was closed to non-residents, including a ban on hiking, horseback riding and off-road vehicles. The Angeles National Forest remains closed after firefighters battled a 38-thousand-acre wildfire in the mountains above the Los Angeles basin during the past two weeks.