Gas Grill Safety Warning
On the eve of a big holiday weekend for outdoor cookouts, safety officials have warned that a design flaw in 155,000 Red Devil gas grills has caused some people serious burns. The government said people should dispose of the grills whose plastic supports can collapse because of buildup of extreme heat, without using the grills.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said today that it had sought a recall of the Red Devil grills. But the company based in the Encino section of Los Angeles has gone out of business. The 155,000 grills were from Quantum North America Incorporated and e4L Incorporated of Encino.
The company and the government received 44 reports of grills collapsing and consumers suffering burns to legs, hands and fingers, including some third-degree burns. Before the company went out of business, more than 1,000 consumers returned Red Devil grills that had collapsed.
Federal safety officials said users could light the grill at an air intake tube as well as at the burner. As a result of fire inside the air intake tube it could become dangerously hot, damaging a plastic support so that many of the grills collapsed.
The government said the red metal grills have a logo on the lid showing a devil cooking at a grill and the words “Red Devil” and “The Portable Outdoor Kitchen.” The black plastic base, above the tripod stand, reads “QUANTUM HOMEWARES.”
The company sold the grills through television infomercials in 1998 and 1999, and some stores and Web sites also sold the dangerous grills.