Date(s) - 07/02/2016 - 07/04/2016
10:30 am - 4:00 pm
Railtown 1897 SHP
The 4th of July holiday weekend is a perfect time to visit Railtown 1897 State Historic Park (SHP) and enjoy memorable train rides behind the “Movie Star Locomotive” Sierra No. 3™. In fact, Railtown 1897 SHP first officially became a State Park on July 4, 1983. Train rides behind the famous locomotive are available on Saturday, July 2, Sunday, July 3, and Monday, July 4, 2016, with departures at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Excursion train ride passengers will be treated to a six-mile, 45-minute round trip ride along the rails of the famous “Movie Railroad,” passing through California’s scenic Gold Country where scenes from many Hollywood movies were filmed. And, in addition to the relaxing steam-train excursion train rides, there are lots of fun, interactive and interpretive-related activities happening at the Park, including:
– The Depot Store, historic Roundhouse & Shops, Interpretive Center and grounds are open from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with guided tours available;
– Hands on History boxes on the deck where volunteers conduct “show and tell” activities and allow visitors to touch and learn about riveting, railroad signaling, track laying and more;
– Historic caboose visits where guests can climb aboard a historic wooden caboose – a reconstruction of the one from Little House on the Prairie and Back to the Future III – to get a sense of what it was like to be a brakeman on the railroad;
– Visits inside the locomotive cab are available to get new and interesting perspectives of the Park and railroading in general;
– Families are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on-site on the sprawling Roundhouse lawn.
Capacity is limited and train ride guests are encouraged to book early. Train ride tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youths ages 6-17 and kids five and under are free. All train ride tickets include Park admission and are available for advance purchase at www.railtown1897.org as well as at the ticket window beginning at 10 a.m. on the day of the ride (based on availability). Park admission costs are $5 for adults, $3 for youths ages 6-17 and free for children five and under.