Date(s) - 05/27/2017 - 05/29/2017
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Railtown 1897 SHP
To kick off the summer season in rail-related style, popular weekend excursion trains will be running all three days of the Memorial Day holiday weekend — May 27, 28 and 29, 2017 — at Railtown 1897 State Historic Park (SHP) in Jamestown. In addition to live music on Saturday and Sunday, steam-powered excursion train rides behind Sierra No. 3™ are available; then on Monday, visitors have the opportunity to take a ride behind a vintage diesel locomotive. Excursion trains will depart at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, delighting visitors from near and far during a six-mile, 45-minute round trip ride along the rails of the famous “Movie Railroad,” passing through California’s scenic Gold Country.
In addition to the relaxing train rides, there are lots of other activities happening at the Park, including:
– A special photo exhibit titled In Train View will be on display in the Carriage Room. The local Sonora Photo Club will display several prints and originals from their Railtown photo competition. – Photos will be on display and for sale through Labor Day;
– Hands on History boxes on the deck where volunteers conduct “show and tell” activities and allow visitors to touch and learn about riveting, railroad signaling, track laying and more;
– Historic caboose visits where guests can climb aboard to get a sense of what it was like to be a brakeman on the railroad;
– Visits inside the locomotive cab to get new and interesting perspectives of the Park and railroading;
– Families are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on-site on the sprawling Roundhouse lawn.
Excursion train ride capacity is limited and visitors are encouraged to arrive early. Train ride tickets cost $15 for adults, $10 for youths ages 6-17 and kids five and under are free. All train ride tickets include Park admission and are available for advance purchase at www.railtown1897.org as well as at the ticket window beginning at 10 a.m. on the day of the ride (based on availability). Park admission costs are $5 for adults, $3 for youths ages 6-17 and free for children five and under.