Date(s) - 09/05/2015 - 09/07/2015
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Railtown 1897 SHP
To celebrate the holiday in rail-related style, Railtown 1897 State Historic Park (SHP) in Jamestown will offer popular excursion train rides all three days of the upcoming Labor Day weekend, September 5, 6 and 7, 2015. On Saturday and Sunday, rides behind the famous “Movie Star Locomotive” Sierra No. 3 are available; then on Labor Day Monday, vintage diesel train rides are available for interested Park visitors. Excursion trains will depart at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, delighting visitors from near and far during a six-mile, 45-minute round trip ride along the rails of the famous “Movie Railroad,” passing through California’s scenic Gold Country.
In addition to the relaxing train rides, there are lots of fun, interactive and interpretive-related activities happening at the Park, including:
– The Depot Store, historic Roundhouse & Shops, Interpretive Center and grounds are open from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with guided tours available;
– Hands on History boxes on the deck where volunteers conduct “show and tell” activities and allow visitors to touch and learn about riveting, railroad signaling, track laying and more;
– Historic caboose visits where guests can climb aboard a historic wooden caboose — the very same one from Little House on the Prairie and Back to the Future III – to get a sense of what it was like to be a brakeman on the railroad;
– Visits inside the locomotive cab to get new and interesting perspectives of the Park and railroading;
– Families are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on-site on the sprawling Roundhouse lawn.
Tickets for the weekend excursion train rides during the holiday weekend are $15 for adults, $10 for youths ages 6-17 and free for children five and under. All train ride tickets include Park admission and are available for advance purchase online as well as at the ticket window beginning at 10 a.m. on the day of the ride (based on availability). Railtown 1897 SHP admission only costs are as follows: $5 for adults, $3 for youths ages 6-17 and free for children five and under. For more information, call 209-984-3953 or visit www.railtown1897.org.