Date(s) - 10/02/2014
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Angels Camp Museum
“160 Year Anniversary Celebration of the Foundry” Lecture & Demonstration by Bob Helvey and George Mather
California Electric Steel (CES) is celebrating its 160th anniversary this year. Established in 1854 to service the Mother Lode mining industry, CES has continued to evolve over the years to meet the changing times and needs both locally and now nationwide. In 1985, the foundry was relocated to a new facility and completely updated.
“Co-owned by Bruce and Karen Whittle and Bob and Gretchen Helvey, the foundry’s claim to fame is being the oldest steel foundry west of the Mississippi. It started as a blacksmith shop operated by J. M. Wooster and Andrew Gardiner. Because of the local demand for mining machinery, it became the Altaville Foundry and Machine Shop in 1854. Demand for machinery was high, so in 1857 Wooster and Gardiner built a larger foundry in Winterton, or Forks, as Altaville was called then, on the site of what is now the eastern side of Angels Towne Center along Highway 49. A partial stone wall from the original foundry building still stands there among the oaks.” (February 15, 2013 article in the Calaveras Enterprise)
Demonstration of making a mold to a raw casting of a steel claw used for a deep sea unmanned submarine.
Cost: free for members; $10 non-members