Mother Lode Shelter Closing
Red Cross Shelter at fairgrounds2
Sonora, CA -- The Red Cross report with all advisory evacuations lifted at Noon today they have begun the process of closing the shelter at the Mother Lode Fairgrounds in Sonora. They say about 60 people have been staying at the shelter for the last couple of days. Red Cross Officials say all have been notified and volunteers are working with them to ensure their needs are met as they head home to their communities.
"The work at this shelter would not have been possible without the tireless efforts of our volunteers and the tremendous support of the community," said Kathleen Weis, CEO for the Red Cross Capital Region. "When disaster strikes, it's a comfort to know there are so many willing to help out."
Since opening the fairgrounds shelter on Monday, August 19:
• Over 150 Red Cross volunteers have helped staff the Mother Lode Fairgrounds shelter
• Over 50 area residents provided volunteer services at the shelter
• Shelter has provided over 950 overnight stays to evacuated residents
• Red Cross and Mother Lode Lions Club volunteers have served nearly 5,000 meals
• On Friday, August 23, more than 180 residents stayed at the shelter (highest overnight total)
The Red Cross plans have the shelter closed by Wednesday afternoon.
Written by Tracey Petersen